Monday, 17 January 2011

"The Royal Jokers"

'You Came Along' ('63)
'I Don't Like You That Much' ('58)



Staying in Detroit we have The Royal Jokers on the Fortune label. If my facts are correct, the group evolved from The Serenaders (as heard in the last post) and one of the results is this majestic slice of soulful harmony. The recording quality is 'rough', but for me this only adds to its beauty.

An earlier Fortune release was 'I Don't Like You That Much'.  You can also hear this on Spanking Doo Wops Volume 1.....This one is WILD!!!

Hear 'I Don't Like You That Much'



If you're interested in learning more about the Serenaders/Royal Jokers, Marv Goldberg is always a good bet.

2 comments:

  1. Good record! I wonder who's on guitar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie, Can't find any clue as to the guitarist..I know Joe Weaver and his band did a lot of backing work for Fortune.

    ReplyDelete